Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tuesday


I wake, feeling refreshed. 2:30 a.m. Doh! I tell my body to go back to sleep. My body tells me to take a hike.

Heidi and I meet up at 7 a.m. to take a hike.

After breakfast (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2842393745625080178) we ride an auto rickshaw to Cubbon Park (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-813462570120149835). Arun told us that Bangalore was once known as the Garden City. Sadly, Cubbon Park is one of the few gardens left. Even more sadly, the park is a mess. It is poorly maintained and is strewn with garbage. A trash can with the words "Use Me" sits empty with a pile of garbage next to it. I notice one area that looks very nice. It is the entrance to the Cricket stadium.

I go to the airport for my flight to Pune. I get my boarding pass and check a bag. A sign says no liquids allowed so I chug down my water bottle before going through security. A guy in front of me sails safely through security with a big water bottle attached to his backpack. On the plane, a sign says no cell phones. I turn mine off. The guy across the aisle from me works his Blackberry for the entire flight. I wonder why anyone bothers to make signs with rules on them. Perhaps these signs are similar to ones in the U.S. that say things like "love thy neighbor". Good rules, but rarely enforced.

As I exit the airport, my tired eyes scan the crowd looking for a driver with a sign saying "Davis-Kean", or "Thomson", or "Thoughtworks". Thiyagu has to nearly knock me down to make me notice that he's standing right in front of me.

At the Pune Thoughtworks office I am introduced to the team. All 4000 of them (OK, maybe I exaggerate a little). I give them a box of chocolates that I picked up in the Paris airport. The team swarms. In a split second or less, the chocolates are gone.

I'm sleepy...

1 comment:

Jan said...

Now that I finally read a blog I think I should publish a comment for the experience. Keep writing, Ira and I are enjoying your comments. You're the first person in our family to go to India!
Mom