Monday, May 28, 2007

Saturday Afternoon

After an uneventful flight, we arrive in the U.S. We go through customs, retrieve our bags, go through another checkpoint, and then we're free. My family is waiting for me and my son runs to me and nearly knocks me over with his embrace. I'm glad to be back!

During the drive home I reflect on the number of lines and checkpoints we had to go through to get here:
  • Bangalore Airport entrance: show ticket or itinerary to get in
  • Baggage x-ray: bags that are to be checked, must first be put through x-ray
  • Check-in counter: show passport, get boarding pass
  • Customs: fill out form, show form + passport
  • Security check: put carry on bags through belt (no need to remove laptop). Men and women have different -rays to go through. I show my passport and then stand on a stool as someone waves a magic wand around me.
  • Gate: When the flight is called, show passport + boarding pass
  • Gate bag check: security guard checks that carry on bags have appropriate stamp to prove they have gone through x-ray
  • Gate check 2: Need to show passport and boarding pass again. Don't know why.
  • Charles De Gaulle airport security: x-ray carry on bags + self
  • Gate: show passport + boarding pass
  • Gate check 2: why do they do this?
  • Detroit Airport Customs: show passport and form
  • Bag check: show passport and form (presumably some people are now stopped so they can check their luggage)
I feel free now that I'm done with checkpoints. At home, I settle back into familiar routines. I force myself to stay awake until 10 p.m.

No comments: